Monday, December 30, 2019

I wanted the floor to swallow me whole...

I recently experienced a social occasion where I felt so uncomfortable the entire time, I wanted to run or be swallowed by the floor. There were people I didn't know and people I'd met once, some were drinking and some weren't. I think that if I'd been drinking, the anxiety that grew the entire afternoon leading to the occasion, might have been suppressed so that I too would have been able to relax and make banter and breathe and converse naturally instead of feeling the most awkward I can remember ever feeling. If I'd been drinking, maybe I'd not have felt absolutely self conscious of every word and movement made. Maybe I'd not have been so affected that I clear forgot the occasion was in celebration of two peoples birthdays, not one, and maybe I'd not be sitting here now asking myself who am I now in a social setting without alcohol.

Hours before the event, I imagined buying a flask of vodka and secretly swigging a gulp or two before entering. I'm glad I didn't but I wish I hadn't attended at all. Now I'm left with a whole lot of wonder around why it was so damn hard. I wonder if I'll ever be able to attend social gatherings where others are drinking and feel okay. Will I ever learn to fit my skin comfortably and mingle with, meet and chat with people easily while sober.

When the event was over, I locked myself in the bathroom and cried. I was embarrassed but also just sad that I'd been incapable of enjoying myself for one freaking minute. And I worried that I'd ruined other peoples night by being so obviously uncomfortable.

When I used and drank, I could handle almost any situation. Sometimes I'd truly surprise myself just how well I held myself though some. I could usually gulp down or breath in some confidence-by-chemical and talk to anyone anywhere without breaking a sweat. I love being sober and I certainly don't want to trade it for a night I'll most probably not be able to piece together come morning but I do want to learn how to overcome the overwhelm of anxiety and crippling shyness around meeting new people in a social environment where simply chatting is required and drinking is not an option.


3 comments:

  1. Hi. Sorry you had an awful time. But you made it through the whole evening without caving in, and you DIDN'T buy a flask of vodka. So the evening was a success. I know you think that you stood out like a sore thumb, but you didn't. I guarantee that. The way it gets better is by doing it more. It gets easier. But I have a few "rules" that help me still, even after nearly five years of sobriety. First, I regularly turn down invitations. Some gathering are clearly just for the purpose of drinking, and I have no interest in those (obviously!), and if I think that the event might be really boozy, I also say No. I also have an exit plan if I get bored of watching other people get drunk, or if I get overwhelmed. I also try to talk to people who are also not drinking - there are more than you might think - and I try to have real conversations, which means listening more than talking. (Again, takes practice). I try to go with a positive mindset. I am also kind to myself. I discovered when I quit drinking, that I am far more introverted than I thought, so I don't torture myself if I'm not the 'party animal' I always wanted to be when I was drinking. Keep going, It gets better, and then it gets wonderful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie, this is an awfully delayed reply but having just read your comment I wanted to thank you ! awesome rules, thank you so much for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Women's sober living Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete